Sunday, January 25, 2009

What day is it?

I am here again with dad today. LaWonna is on her way in. Mom stayed at the hospital last night and didn't sleep a wink. Apparently, dad didn't either. It seems that the combination of pain meds, antibiotics, sleep deprivation, and the general physical stress that dad is experiencing is resulting in a sort of delirium. This was the most difficult part for mom during the night. He makes sense only in short bursts and is compelled to get out of bed without warning.

Mom was ordered (by us), to go home and sleep for awhile in her own bed. It's hard for her to leave, but I reminded her that we need her to take care of herself, too. Aunt Vern came to drive her home and assist with whatever need may arise. Thanks Aunt Vern for being such a good friend to mom!

The doctors seem positive about the progression of dad's antibiotic treatment. Several more staples were removed from the incision site to allow for draining if necessary. The incision is just a smidgen less irritated today than yesterday. A smidgen? We'll take it! They are planning on inserting a pick (spelling?) line later this afternoon as a more permanent solution to the IV. It's a sterile procedure that lasts about 30 minutes. A line is inserted in a vein in the arm and taken to a main artery of the heart. It sounds a bit scary, but the nurse assured us that it is a somewhat standard procedure. Admittedly, we are leary of anything "standard" or "routine."

At the moment, dad is "resting" in the chair "watching" Fox News. As I am here today, I am praying peace and rest over him. He really is exhausted and could use some uninterrupted rest.

Peace and rest...

3 comments:

  1. Jonas, I am praying that you will get the rest you need because that is so vital for your body to be able to heal it's self. I'm sorry you're going though this but remember God has a purpose for everything. Hang in there, I need my friend.
    Love you, Gordie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonas---Ann ----family, John & I are praying for strength and healing for all. Love you all John & Sara from the 68'ers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jonas and family you are in my thoughts and will be a part of my prayers, we have been thru colon cancer with my father this past year, have faith with the hospital staff even when they tell you what you dont want to hear and always stay positive. me and my staff will keep you in our thoughts daily...deb OH130

    ReplyDelete