Saturday, January 31, 2009

Waiting patiently / Patient waiting

I am sitting here with mom, dad, and the doctor who performed the original colonoscopy. If there is any redemption to be found in this entire situation, it is in the friendship that I see forming between dad and this kind doctor who has sincerely walked beside him every step of the way. As men of integrity, they have both faced a personal crisis and are emerging with their character in tact, fortified, and deepened. It's beautiful to watch.

The best news of the day has been that of dad's pain level. In a very routine manner, the nurse came in and asked dad to assign a number to his pain. His response? A two!! The nurse's response spoke for us all. She whipped her head around and exclaimed, "Really? That is awesome!" Later she admitted that she felt a little weepy at the news. The nurses here have been so sensitive and caring. The entire 8th floor has been cheering for dad since his first day here. Nurses really are a special crew. Also, dad felt hungry for his meal tonight and ate all but 8 or 9 peas. He even enjoyed a few bites of carrot cake!

Things are moving in the right direction. We are all thrilled. There hasn't been much talk of dad's official discharge date, but if today is any indication, it's right around the corner.

At the moment, dad is looking up jokes and quotes on his iPod. That's more like it!

Here's one: "On the other hand...you have different fingers."

4 comments:

  1. Lavale, tell your dad that he's supposed to eat every carrot and pea on his plate!
    Glad he is doing better love you guys!
    Gordie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonie, Anne and Family. I am so sorry,I have not been in to see Jonie yet. I am helping Clint and Tanya get their home ready and trying to keep up with things at home. We would like to come in on Sunday before Super Bowl...it will not be the same without you two. I have a cold, was waiting to get better, want to keep these germs away from you. I think of you often. Love ya Emy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with my favorite troublemaker (Gordie) - eat your peas!

    -keeping my germies to myself,
    love you! Glo

    ReplyDelete
  4. A 2. That is all I ever wanted for my Dad(well, zero was nice when we had it also :-).
    A 2 and a doctor with integrity. Sounds like a winning combination. So pleased to read this.
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete