Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Are we there yet?

Yesterday was an exhilarating day with good news on several fronts. Dad's bowels are back in action. His blood work is near perfect. His diet has been advanced to include foods with the protein his body needs to regain strength. The culture from his incision showed almost no bacteria. The antibiotics will continue to be monitored for effectiveness and his incision is so much improved already. We are experiencing the benefits of prayer and the gift of God's hand in the unseen places on dad's behalf.

The only news we hope to hear is that dad is going home. There hasn't been any talk of it yet, but we are hopeful. Along with continued monitoring of the infection, pain, food intake, and high blood pressure are the factors that will determine the timing of his release. Prayer has been a powerful force this past week, so I ask that we continue to pray for these issues to stabilize and continue to improve. Perhaps I shouldn't be so timid in my request. My cousin commented yesterday that God really showed us up by producing a "pooh" when we were only asking for a fart. :) Just something to consider...

I am home sick today but was able to talk with dad on the phone this morning. He sounded groggy, but good. After running me through the standard updates he said, "I just feel so blessed." Who says that after 7 nightmarish days in the hospital? Wow. While we are gathering around trying to be a blessing to him, he is really just blessing us more. The genuineness of his character continues to amaze me.

Thank you for caring for dad during his time of need. It means so much to him and all of us.

On behalf of the family,

Joy LaVale

6 comments:

  1. Dear Jonas and Anne and family,
    So glad to hear that you are starting to feel better. Thanks LaVale for posting updates each day. It is amazing to see how God works in our lives. He is gracious and compassionate to his children. Look forward to seeing your Mom and Dad back in the neighborhood!
    Fondly,
    David and Mandy and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not being timid...I think God was sick of hearing prayers about gas, and He decided to put an end to them!!
    LaVale- hope you're feeling better...take care of yourself! We'll probably be in tomorrow night. I'll call ya tom.
    Lova ya Uncle Jonie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like the roller coaster ride you have all been on is slowing down for a possible departure real soon. God is Good. In the mean time we'll keep lifting the prayers for a complete recovery. Thanks for all the informative updates LaVale and hang in there and hope you feel better real soon.
    Fondly,
    Janet Forrester

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy LaVale,
    Do you need some Chicken Noodle Soup? I'll see what I can do about that. Cuddle up girl. Well Uncle Jonas, looks like you are gettin up to par. I haven't seen any comments about Auntie Anne and LaWonna. I suppose they are resting well. Wishin you weren't so far away!!!! Come on back home ya'll! I promise that in just a few days you'll have your good ole E. Texas twang back. Love ya, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so thankful you are doing better and grateful to God for His healing power! He is so loving and ready to answer the prayers of His children. I read the previous reports and comments from the blog to get caught up on this past weeks events. Two things jumped out at me. The 1st being the abundant show of Love.I am reading it and can feel it, you must be bathing in God's LOVE! The 2nd thing is how consistant you are. You have always been the same man as long as I've known you. The world and outside influence has not changed you. Money has not changed you. This is characteristic of a man of valor, strength and humility. Romans 5:3-5 But we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his Love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit,whom he has given us. Love you Jonie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is good news! I have been holding my breath and it feels good to be able to breathe again. I really like this new way of being able to follow the progress of some one we care about and to be able to join in updated praying. Thanks for sharing.
    A cousin who enjoys cheering you all on as God finds ways to bring about the dreams of Jonas and Anne.
    Edna Lapp

    ReplyDelete